What makes Ghost CMS great?
Ghost is a relatively new CMS that has taken the world by storm. It is a simple, yet powerful, platform that makes creating and managing content easy. Here are four reasons Ghost is great:
- It is easy to use. There is no need to learn a complicated coding language or framework in order to create and manage content. Ghost is simple and intuitive, making it perfect for beginners.
- It is fast and lightweight. This makes it a great choice for small and medium-sized businesses that need a CMS that is both fast and efficient, powered by NodeJS.
- It has a sizeable community of users who are always happy to help and share their knowledge. This makes it easy to get help and support when you need it.
- It is constantly growing, with new features and updates being released all the time. This means that Ghost users always have access to the latest and greatest features.
What is Ghost CMS?
What are Ghost CMS Themes?
Ghost CMS themes are templates which allow users to quickly and easily set up a website using the Ghost publishing platform. Ghost CMS themes are designed for use with Ghost, but can be adapted for other website platforms. There are official free templates and professional templates at Ghost.org.
What is Ghost CMS Development?
Prerequisites to create your local Ghost CMS theme
Getting started with Ghost CMS is easier than you might think, though it takes a little understanding of basic computer use for software. The technical requirements for installing Ghost CMS locally on your computer for development and customization are:
- computer running MacOS, Windows, or Linux
- a supported version of NodeJS
- NPM or Yarn to manage your packages
- a clean, empty directory for you work in
- desire to do something amazing
Let's get started!
- Install the Ghost-CLI by opening your terminal and typing the command
npm install -g ghost-cli@latest
- Navigate to the clean, empty directory where you want to install Ghost CMS, e.g.
- Ensure you are in the correct folder, which can be confirmed by
pwdand confirming that the last part of the path is your directory name, using the above example
- Install a local Ghost CMS instance by running the terminal command
ghost install localinside of the correct empty directory.
Once you have seen the screen above, you know that it is installed! Notice it provides you with a path
http://localhost:2368/ghost/ (NOTE: the port, :2368 could be different if that port is in use, so don't worry!).
Next, visit the URL provided in the terminal and you will get the Ghost CMS set up screen.
Complete the 4 input fields and click the Create account button to publish!
Congratulations, you have successfully set up your local Ghost CMS and are ready to look around.
Next you will learn how to choose for first Ghost CMS theme and customize it!
This is an ongoing series on Ghost CMS development, customization, theme creation, and anything and everything related. How to read the version numbers in the title:
- 1.x beginner, no special programming skills required
- x.1 is the general, recommended path in sequence